Stress not enough to deter UK musician from pursuing his dreams

Zachary Robinson’s passion for music started well before his trumpet career at UK.

Aylin Bueno

Classes, homework and sleepless nights practicing don’t stop this UK musician from achieving his dreams.

Zachary Robinson, a music education sophomore, began his career in elementary school, and went on to play the lead trumpet in Bryan Station High School’s Allstate Jazz ensemble.

He has since ingrained himself in UK’s various orchestras and bands, including the Wind Symphony, the Symphony Orchestra, the top Jazz Ensemble, and various jazz combos and brass quintets.

“I loved playing in ensembles in grade school, and have found a passion for working with groups in a musical setting, and being a music ed major here at UK lets me truly hone my skills at something I love doing,” Robinson said.

Music education majors can choose between a vocal/elementary general music track or an instrumental track, according to the College of Fine Arts School of Music website. About 50 percent of the undergraduate music majors at UK are music education majors.

The musicians at UK have been successful, especially in the National Trumpet Competition, which took second place in the nation in 2014.

Robinson has had several accomplishments that will prepare him for the future.

Robinson’s inspiration and desire to play music started at a young time in his life.

Since then, he has played with the Kentucky Music Educators Association Intercollegiate Jazz Ensemble.

“I’ve had so many opportunities and been incredibly fortunate to get to play in university related ensembles and functions,” Robinson said.

UK’s successful athletics program has given him and many other students the chance to play at UK football and basketball games.

But being a musician is not easy, and it requires a lot of self-motivation to be successful. One of the greatest challenges, Robinson said, is the constant need for improvement.

“It honestly becomes extremely stressful at times, balancing classwork with over six hours of playing ensembles each day,” Robinson said. “That time doesn’t even include time spent practicing, which is arguably the most important.”

The long hours and stress are worth it for the excitement and pleasure that comes from making music.

“I love playing and teaching and hope to continue to do so through the rest of my career,” Robinson said.