President-elect hopes for student feedback

Rowan Reid, right, and Ben Childress, left, will be UK next president and vice president duo for the Student Government Association.

Lexington Souers

“I think I’m the first woman in 10 years to be student government president,” said President-elect Rowan Reid.

Reid, an economics and management junior, said she hopes to empower those who are interested in student government but feel like they can’t get involved. As president, she aims to take the positives and negatives she’s seen in her three years in SGA.

“Culture change doesn’t happen over night. It’s not going to happen in the year that we’re the administration of student government,” Reid said.  “It’s going to happen over time, but if we can at least continue that process, I think that will be something we (including Vice President-elect Ben Childress) would both be really proud of.”

With that change, Reid plans to tackle difficult issues, like sexual assault and election reform. With the example that UK has set facilitating open discussion about race and other issues, Reid hopes to increase transparency.

Reid said students can get involved by talking to SGA members about the issues that affect their daily lives, and calling their state representatives to help with budget cuts, something Reid and Childress can’t control and are trying to prevent.

Incremental change is often hard to see, but Reid said she hopes to partner with outlets to publicize student government’s progress.

“You see a positive change, and I think that that’s the most important thing,” Reid said.

While change within student government is often gradual, Reid said it was important to continue working toward the common good. She said her favorite moments from the campaign process were conversations with student.

“I loved it when this one specific student — and he was like, ‘Well, what are you going to do to change this?” Reid said.  “That’s kind of like the spark that keeps us going.”

Reid entered college knowing she wanted to be in student government after high school involvement in YMCA conferences. As far as having an inspiration in college, Reid said her sorority big has been her greatest role model.

Reid took the LSAT last month, and she wants to work in public law after she graduates.

“When I was little, I cared so much about everything being fair — that’s my biggest thing,” Reid said. “I want justice to be the number one quality that everyone cares about, and that’s not always the case.”