Lexington Humane Society claims 23 horses after year-long case

By Daniel Bodden

Twenty-three abandoned horses became the property of Lexington Humane Society Wednesday, resolving a situation involving an individual who would not claim the animals or pay boarding fees.

Lexington-Fayette Animal Care and Control has been working on the case for about a year, almost the whole time the horses have been boarded at the facility. Originally, there were 33 horses, but 10 have already been placed through a partnership between LFACC and a local farm. LHS received the remaining 23 horses.

“The decision is just out of what’s best for the animals,” LHS Senior Development Manager Ashley Hammond said. “It is a costly choice, but we want to do what’s best for the animals, whether it’s cats, dogs, horses or pigs or whatever we may have come in.”

The boarding facility where the horses are being kept is offering LHS a minimal fee per horse. Every day, one or two staff members from LHS feed, water and take care of the horses, some of which are on medications.

“Fortunately, they are in relatively good health,” Hammond said. “The last few months, LFACC and the boarding facility have been working closely to make sure the horses are cared for because we don’t want any animals to go without food, water or proper healthcare.”

In the past day, more than $800 has been donated directly to the horses’ care through the LHS website, part of $3,000 in total donations for the day. It costs LHS hundreds of dollars each day to care for the horses.

LHS is currently inundated with animals and costs as a result of the horses, dozens of dogs from a hoarding situation in Laurel County and 34 cats dumped in its parking lot a little more than a week ago. LHS does not euthanize animals due to time or space constraints.

“With costs continuing to rise and donations being down this season, it’s been rough to make sure that we reach our budget,” Hammond said. “We’re always going to do everything we can to make sure we care for every animal that we have.”

According to Hammond, LHS has already been contacted by individuals interested in adoption. Although the horses are not ready to be adopted at this point, the humane society is keeping a running list of interested individuals. LHS is looking to find each animal a permanent placement.

“We will find [animals] a forever home,” Hammond said. “We’ll keep them until we find homes for the animals.”

Those interested in donating or adopting can visit Lexington Humane Society’s website, www.adoptlove.net, or call (859) 233-0044.