College of Pharmacy to host open house Saturday

By Ying Jiang

The College of Pharmacy will host an open house 10 a.m. Saturday in the Biological Pharmaceutical Complex at 789 S. Limestone.

The event will provide high school students and college students with the opportunity to learn about the pharmacy profession, career opportunities, and the Doctor of Pharmacy Program — also known as Pharm.D.

“The purpose of the open house is to provide students and their families an opportunity to learn about what education in the UK College of Pharmacy is like,” said Dave Melanson, director of Alumni and External Relations in the College of Pharmacy. “We try to provide people the proper information so they can evaluate it and make the best decisions.”

Melanson said the event will feature two degree programs, the Pharm.D., program and the graduate program in Pharmaceutical Sciences Ph.D. program.

The open house is primarily for those who are interested in Pharm.D. program.

“Obviously, the high school students are struggling with figuring out what they might want to do in college,” Melanson said. “Almost anyone could come to the College of Pharmacy. We hope to see lots of people from various different backgrounds, lots of scientific degrees and different areas.”

The program receives approximately 800 applications each year and about 300 are Kentucky residents.

“We expect roughly 140 students in the first year class every year, and we have about 75 graduate students pursue their Ph.D. as well,” said Melanson, who also said faculty members and students of the College of Pharmacy would provide detailed information to apply for the program. More application information is also available on the College of Pharmacy’s website.

Check-in begins at 9:30 a.m., and the open house is expected to last about three hours. Optional tours or workshops will follow, including a 45 minute Application Strengthening Workshop, a 30 minute abbreviated campus tour, and a 20 minute tour of College of Pharmacy Building.

“Hopefully students and their families will learn something and have a good time, too,” Melanson said.