Annual Crunch Brunch takes over student center for a night off of studying

An attendee receives a t-shirt during the SAB Crunch Brunch event on Wednesday, Dec. 6, 2023, at the Gatton Student Center in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Samuel Colmar | Staff

The Student Activities Board (SAB) hosted its annual Crunch Brunch event as a stress reliever for University of Kentucky students before their week of finals, according to SAB Vice President of Promotions Alex Lajewski.

Due to current construction at Memorial Coliseum, this year’s event on Dec. 6 took place at the Gatton Student Center offering a variety of unique study break options for attendees.

Such activities offered at the event were a “relaxation zone” with massages, coloring and crafting, as well as a “glow zone” with a 360-degree photo booth, axe-throwing and mini-golf for students to relax and take a break from prolonged hours of studying.

Freshman aerospace engineering major Paige Housman, left, and psych major Megan Hutchins play Jenga during the SAB Crunch Brunch event on Wednesday, Dec. 6, 2023, at the Gatton Student Center in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Samuel Colmar | Staff

“I would say this has a lot more going on, I like this one a lot because of the massages, and everything’s kinda spread out,” senior Jimia Mack said. “I feel like at the Coliseum getting down to the gym floor and then coming back up and then all the snacks being sprawled out … I felt like that was kind of a lot.”

This year’s relocation also assisted in the process of collaborating with UK Dining, providing a plentiful amount of food and snacks for study-goers, Lauren Salladino, SAB co-director of traditions said.

“I would say it’s a great way for people to kind of check back in with themselves before finals happen, feed themselves some good food for free, hang out, some of the activities, there’s a variety of activities you could do,” Sophomore Peyton Harmon, a chair on SAB’s Traditions Committee said. 

SAB decorated the inside of the student center with pink and blue balloons, which attracted passersby to the event, one being freshman Megan Richey, a neuroscience major.

“I loved the pink, we came in and we noticed all the balloons and everything,” Richey said. “We went in and we got food cause we were starving but after that we were gonna go study, and I think this was exactly what we needed, like I’m so glad we stumbled into it.” 

Kate Wilson, director of information technology said SAB aimed to attract the whole student body to the yearly event. 

“We include everybody, one of our core values includes diversity so we don’t exclude anybody, so I think it’s an opportunity where some organizations you may need specific membership, where we’re just trying to attract the entire student body,” Wilson said. 

Wilson added they hoped the event would give students a break from studying for at least one night.

“To provide students with an opportunity to take a break from studying and really spend time with their friends, remember why they came to college and remember that once finals are over with they’re still students and they’re still individuals and this is just an event that reminds them of that,” Wilson said.