Kim Kardashian is ‘The Man’

Illustration by Akhila Nadimpalli

The other day I opened my least favorite app in a fatal rush of boredom and procrastination, and I was met with the most interesting pop culture moment I have seen in a while.

Kim Kardashian posted a photograph on Instagram in an oversized black blazer, pinstripe oxford shirt and funky printed tie. She announced that she was on the cover of the GQ “Man of the Year” issue.

Two words flashed in my head straight away. Absolutely iconic.

Kardashian does it again. She continues to break down steel walls people have hammered up against her since an unsolicited tape of hers was released years ago.

This cover was not just absolutely iconic for her, but it was also absolutely iconic for women everywhere.

The world has conjured up a certain definition of what being the “The Man” means over the past centuries, specifically from men themselves.

“The Man” is an exhausting phrase that I think is finally being torn apart publicly by a new wave of strong, independent and successful women in business and the public eye that are helping reshape this phrase to finally include women.

“The Man” has always been perceived as someone who is deemed a powerhouse in business and an individual who can command a room and dominate — a man who has it all.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but Kardashian is the breath of fresh air that we need.

I am not saying that there aren’t women in the public eye who are hammering at their own steel walls and breaking them down with their amount of success and drive. However, I think Kardashian is a brilliant blueprint for being the stepping stone in the right direction for women to be considered an equal part of “The Man” spectacle.

Kardashian exuberates the powerful energy of being a multifaceted woman who advocates for other women to use their strengths to become the most influential versions of themselves.

Not only is Kardashian a mom of four, but she runs a multi-millionaire dollar shapewear company that aims at making women feel the most confident in their skin, a skin care company and a private equity company.

When Kardashian isn’t busy creating countless new ideas for her successful businesses, she attends school to be a lawyer and wants to spend her life learning and exercising her passionate duties for social justice reform.

Kim’s shapewear line SKIMS is also experimenting with a men’s line. SKIMS recently signed a deal with the NBA to become the official underwear for players.

Her being on the cover of GQ’s “Man of The Year” edition shows that women really can do anything. If they want to be on the cover of a men’s magazine, they will, and it will be absolutely iconic.