Making spirits bright before December

Illustration by Akhila Nadimpalli

You walk into your childhood home on a snowy afternoon. You are eager to stay outside and make more snow angels, but the smell of warm cookies and Christmas music invites you inside anyway.

You sit down at the table and let your mother kiss the tip of your chilled nose, and she says, “You look like Rudolph.” She then guides your hand to the living room where you all start decorating your tree and listen to “I’ll Be Home for Christmas” by Elvis Presley.

This feeling of putting up my Christmas tree, stringing lights, and listening to Christmas music brings me right back to this feeling of nostalgia I experienced as a child: warm, hopeful, and bright.

Personally, I like to put up my tree as soon as Halloween is over, and I think more people should as well. In fact, there is a study that shows that people who put their Christmas decor out earlier are happier.

Psychologist Deborah Serani told TODAY that decorating can brighten someone’s mood.

“Christmas decorating will spike dopamine, a feel-good hormone,” Serani said.

In regard to higher education, the holidays can bring a sense of stress to college students with exams and final projects, but I think that if more people decorate earlier, it will spark a sense of happiness and calmness in them.

While many might argue that Christmas is just a consumerism scam with the constant need to always buy during the holidays, I disagree.

When I think of Christmas, I remember the memories I have of my grandmother helping me wrap metal tins of candy that she has prepared and staying up late on Christmas Eve hoping I would hear Santa’s footsteps.

I do not remember the amount of money I received or what shiny new toy my father bought for my little sister. I remember the hopeful and warm thoughts that anything could come true at Christmas.

I believe that Christmas decorating can be a stress reliever and bring back those feelings of nostalgia and innocence from childhood that so many people yearn to feel again.

It’s because of this warmth that I will always put my Christmas decorations up early, as these feelings will always make my spirit brighter.