Five-star point guard Boogie Fland commits to Kentucky men’s basketball

Jack Weaver
Kentucky Wildcats head coach John Calipari coaches his team during the Kentucky vs. Vanderbilt mens basketball game on Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2023, at Memorial Gymnasium in Nashville, Tennessee. Kentucky won 69-53. Photo by Jack Weaver | Staff

The No. 1 ranked Rivals point guard in the 2024 class, Johnuel “Boogie” Fland, verbally committed to Kentucky basketball on Friday evening.

The 6-foot, 2-inch five-star committed to the Wildcats over Alabama and Indiana.

Fland marked John Calipari’s second pickup in the 2024 class as he will be joining four-star center Somto Cyril who committed to Kentucky back in June.

Fland, who’s getting ready for his final year of high school basketball at Archbishop Stepinac High School, has made significant improvements to his numbers in between freshman, sophomore and junior year.

At the conclusion of Fland’s freshman season, he finished with just 9.8 points per game while only playing three games at the Varsity level.

When Fland’s sophomore year concluded his stats were a bit better, finishing with 14.4 points per game along with 2.7 assists and five rebounds on average through 18 games.

Then, last season as a junior, Fland averaged 18.1 points per game through 31 games played, alongside 4.2 rebounds and 3.7 assists per game.

It is also worth noting that Fland was selected to play for the United States in the 2022 U17 FIBA World Cup, where he averaged 4.6 points per game in the tournament, along with 2.7 rebounds and 3.6 assists through eight games.

With Fland’s commitment fans are already beginning to get excited for next year’s team before the 2023-24 season has even tipped off.

Kentucky will continue to push in the recruiting department as Calipari has sent offers to former UK forward Kevin Knox’s brother, Karter, Billy Richmond, a 6-foot, 5-inch guard from Camden, New Jersey, Travis Perry, a four-star from Eddyville, Kentucky, along with seven others.

As fans wait and see what kind of recruiting magic “Coach Cal” can pull off as time moves forward, the next year of college basketball is about to tip off, with this year’s Cats also being highlighted by a stellar recruiting class.

Kentucky is set to host its Blue-White game from the campus of Northern Kentucky before kicking off the regular season on Nov. 6 against New Mexico State.