Human remains found at UK construction site for the fourth time in two weeks

Abbey Cutrer
Turner construction workers walk out of the UK College of Design construction site after human remains were found on Friday, Aug. 18, 2023, on Scott Street in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Abbey Cutrer | Staff

Human remains, including a skull, were found at the UK College of Design construction site on Scott Street Friday morning, shutting down operations per Kentucky law. 

Fayette County Coroner Gary Ginn said this is the fourth time he’s been called to the site in the last week and half to identify human remains.  

The blue outline shows the location of the UK College of Design construction site where the human remains were found.

Former County Attorney Margaret Kenaston told Ginn that the city cemetery used to lay at this site and was filled in the 1800s during the cholera epidemic.

Near the end of last week, Ginn said they found an entire skeleton including teeth and other bones, along with some buttons, assumed to be from trousers. He said identification is not possible at this time. 

Ginn said the remains are in ‘safe-keeping’ and will properly be buried out of respect. 

I wanted to preserve them the best that I possibly could so that we can repair them,” Ginn said.

@kykernel A human skull was found in a construction site near the University of Kentucky’s campus. Coroner Gary Ginn explains how he was called to the site to investigate the remains, confirming that the boney structure found was a human skull. Ginn goes on to say that the skull would probably be dated back to around the 1800s For more stories like this one Check out the Kentucky Kernel website https://kykernel.com/ #humanremains #humanskull #breakingnews #construction #kentuckykernel #Kernelnews #studentjournalism #journalism #cemetery #fyp #fypシ #universityofkentucky ♬ original sound – Kentucky Kernel