Phi Kappa Tau fraternity revoked as a UK student organization

Travis Fannon

The Phi Kappa Tau house on Monday, April 17, 2023, on Pennsylvania Ct. in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Travis Fannon | Staff

Hannah Stanley, Managing Editor

Clarification: According to UK spokesperson Jay Blanton, the Sigma Nu fraternity has completed the revocation period. The Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity has concluded the set revocation period by the university, but the Kappa Alpha Psi headquarters has imposed a revocation until 09/2023 and is to be updated on the Office for Student Success website.

The Phi Kappa Tau fraternity has been revoked as a student organization in violation of the UK Code of Student Conduct as of March 28, 2023.

The fraternity has charges of misuse of alcohol and violations of law or other UK policies, according to the Office for Student Success website.

“…for the revocation process, we communicate with the national headquarters for the organization, the chapter president and chapter members about what the revocation means for them and the chapter’s status on campus,” UK spokesperson Jay Blanton told the Kernel.

The Phi Kappa Tau letters have been removed from the on-campus chapter house as seen on April 17.

Blanton said in cases of revocation involving a fraternity house, efforts to work with the members for alternative housing are a part of the process.

In addition to Phi Kappa Tau, six registered fraternities under the University of Kentucky Interfraternity Council (IFC) are in violation of the Code of Student Conduct, two with violations of hazing, according to the Office for Student Success website.

The remaining four unregistered student organizations listed in violation were previously UK-registered IFC fraternities. The FarmHouse fraternity was revoked as a registered student organization after the death of new member Thomas “Lofton” Hazelwood in 2021, as well as Alpha Tau Omega after the death of a four-year-old involving fraternity member Jacob Heil.

Kappa Alpha Psi was revoked after violations of hazing and Sigma Alpha Epsilon after multiple violations within the Code of Conduct.

Listed below are the 10 student organizations that have recent violations with the current conduct status, nature of violations and end date as found under the Conduct Status for Registered Student Organizations tab:

• Sigma Nu: Disciplinary Probation 
    • Nature of violation: 6P. Misuse of Alcohol 
      • End date: 04/11/2023
  • Kappa Alpha Psi: Revocation of Registered Student Organization Status
    • Nature of violation: 6A.3. Abuse of the Process; 6L. Harm and Threat of Status Harm; 6M. Hazing 
      • End date: 03/28/2023
  • Kappa Alpha Order: Disciplinary Probation
    • Nature of violation: 6A.6. Abuse of the Process; 6H. Failure to Comply; 6P. Misuse of Alcohol; 6BB. Failure to Follow UK Covid-19 Health and Safety Guidelines
      • End date: 05/08/2023
  • Phi Gamma Delta: Disciplinary Probation
    • Nature of violation: 6M. Hazing; 6P. Misuse of Alcohol; 6AA. Violations of Law or Other UK Policies
      • End date: 05/24/2023
  • Triangle: Disciplinary Probation; Social Restriction
    • Nature of violation: 6P. Misuse of Alcohol; 6AA. Violations of Law or Other UK Policies
      • End date: 06/15/2023; 05/05/2023
  • Theta Chi: Disciplinary Probation; Social Restriction
      • End date: 09/30/2023; 05/15/2023
  • Phi Kappa Tau: Revocation of Registered Student Organization Status
      • End date: 12/31/2023
  • FarmHouse: Revocation of Registered Student Organization Status
    • Nature of violation: 6M. Hazing; 6P. Misuse of Alcohol; 6AA. Violations of Law or Other UK Policies; 6BB. Failure to Follow UK Covid-19 Health and Safety Guidelines
      • End date: 12/23/2023
  • Sigma Alpha Epsilon: Revocation of Registered Student Organization Status
    • Nature of violation: 6A.6. Abuse of the Process; 6D. Damage and Destruction; 6H. Failure to Comply; 6L. Harm and Threat of Harm; 6P. Misuse of Alcohol; 6AA. Violations of Law of other UK Policies; 6BB. Failure to Follow UK Covid-19 Health and Safety Guidelines
      • End date: 01/20/2026
  • Alpha Tau Omega: Revocation of Registered Student Organization Status; Disciplinary Probation
    • Nature of violation: 6P. Misuse of Alcohol; 6AA. Violations of Law or other UK Policies
      • End date: 02/04/2031; 02/04/2033