Kentucky womens tennis drops home match against Alabama 4-1

Fiona Arrese celebrates a point during the University of Kentucky vs. Tennessee women’s tennis match on Sunday, March 28, 2021, at Hillary J. Boone Tennis Center in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Michael Clubb | Staff

Parker Scott, Reporter

Kentucky womens tennis (12-9) was defeated 4-1 by Alabama (11-8) at the Hilary J. Boone Tennis Center on Sunday.

The loss, which capped off a weekend of struggles for the team that also included a loss to Auburn, brought Kentucky’s SEC record to 4-6.

The Wildcats lost the doubles point for the second game in a row and the fifth time this season, allowing the Crimson Tide to have the early advantage.

Both of the doubles matches that finished were close, yet ended in a 7-5 defeat for Kentucky.

Alabama then took a 2-0 lead after senior Maialen Morante lost to Klara Milicevic in straight sets on court six.

Refusing to back down, Kentucky got on the board with a straight set victory on court three from senior Carlota Molina.

However, that was all the Cats would do for the rest of the match, as the next two singles matches ended in favor of Alabama, giving them the 4-1 victory.

Even though the match resulted in a loss for the Wildcats, the last match saw a fight on Kentucky’s end as freshman Zoe Hammond kept herself alive in a 5-1 deficit on the third set, but eventually lost by scores of 1-6, 6-3, and 3-6.

Kentucky will look to bounce back and travel to Columbus, Ohio, to face No. 6 Ohio State on Wednesday, April 5, at 4 p.m. EST.