No. 45 Kentucky womens tennis sweeps doubleheader against EKU

Fiona Arrese hits the ball during the University of Kentucky vs. Tennessee women’s tennis match on Sunday, March 28, 2021, at Hillary J. Boone Tennis Center in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Michael Clubb | Staff

Jonathon Bruner, Reporter

No. 45 Kentucky womens tennis (10-7) did not lose a single match as they swept the Eastern Kentucky University Colonels (4-13) in a double header on Tuesday by scores of 4-0 and 4-0.

Both teams decided to start the day with singles matches and because the Wildcats took four matches in a row, the doubles matches went unplayed.

Singles began with senior Carlota Molina dominating her opponent in straight sets by scores of 6-1 and 6-0, giving the Wildcats the 1-0 lead.

Sophomore Ellie Eades came in next, winning straight sets by scores of 6-4 and 6-4.

The next match saw junior Elizabeth Stevens win a three set battle against her opponent by scores of 6-2, 5-7 and 6-2.

Stevens’ victory put the Wildcats within one point of the win as the score now stood at 3-0.

Junior Makalya Mills was up next as she hoped to secure the victory for the Wildcats. After dropping the first set by a score of 3-6, Mills would bounce back and take the next two sets 6-0 and 6-4 to secure the game and the win for the Wildcats.

Senior Maialen Morante and freshman Zoe Hammond had matches in progress that went unfinished as Kentucky had already won the match.

Much like the first game, doubles matches were not played in the second match due to the dominance of the Wildcats.

Mills began singles for the second game of the day on the court, taking care of her opponent in quick fashion as she didn’t allow a point. The final scores were 6-0 and 6-0, giving the Wildcats a 1-0 lead.

The next match was much of the same as sophomore Lidia Gonzalez only allowed one point in her victory as she won in straight sets by scores of 6-1 and 6-0.

The Wildcats continued their dominant play in the next match as No. 48 senior Florencia Urrutia defeated her opponent in straight sets by scores of 6-1 and 6-0.

With the score 3-0 in favor of Kentucky, the final match of the day saw Eades defeat her opponent in quick fashion by scores of 6-1 and 6-0 to secure the fourth point and victory for the Wildcats.

Both Stevens and Molina had matches in progress that went unfinished.

The Wildcats will look to build off this dominant sweep as they head into Springfield, Missouri, to take on the Missouri Tigers on Friday, March 24, at 3 p.m. EST at the Cooper Tennis Complex.