Kentucky General Assembly overrides veto, passes anti-transgender legislation

Jack Weaver

The Kentucky State Capitol on Thursday, Oct. 6, 2022, in Frankfort, Kentucky. Photo by Jack Weaver | Staff

Alexis Baker, Staff Reporter

The Kentucky General Assembly overrode Gov. Andy Beshear’s veto of Senate Bill 150, which places a ban on gender-affirming care for transgender youth, according to the Lexington Herald-Leader.

The Herald-Leader said that the override began Wednesday in the Senate, the chamber of origin, and received a 29-8 vote. The House followed with an override vote of 76-23.

Both the Kentucky House and Senate are Republican supermajorities, which prevents gridlock on major legislative decisions. 

Protestors gathered at the Capitol on Wednesday in response to the override. 

The Lexington Herald-Leader said that in the House, the Kentucky State Police forcibly removed several protesters from the gallery and arrested 19 on charges of third-degree criminal trespassing. 

According to the Herald-Leader, not only will the bill ban puberty-blockers, hormones and surgeries for individuals under the age of 18, it will also affect transgender youth at school.

The Herald-Leader said that the bill will ensure the ban on gender identity and sexual orientation lessons, prevent transgender students from using bathrooms that correspond with their gender identity and stop school districts from requiring teachers to use students’ pronouns if they don’t align with their sex assigned at birth.