High wind speeds cause damage to UK campus, downtown Lexington

After high winds blew through the city, an officer throws debris from the roof of Robert F. Stephens Circuit Courthouse on Friday, March 3, 2023, in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Abbey Cutrer | Staff

Kernel Staff

Strong winds have caused damage on UK’s campus and in downtown Lexington.

Traffic light cables on South Upper and Scott streets partially detached, blocking the left lane of South Upper Street near the Taylor Education Building.

The stoplights at the intersection of S. Martin Luther King Boulevard and Avenue of Champions stopped working, causing a three-way stop.

The university has received reports of wind damage in some areas, according to UK spokesperson Jay Blanton. 

The wind speeds have also removed metal roofing debris from at least one of the Woodland Glen residential halls.

According to Stacy Borden, UK’s grounds manager, a tree fell down at Parking Structure No. 1, but there were no obstructions to the entrance. 

Part of a tree near Parking Structure No. 6 also fell, blocking the entrance. Employees worked quickly to clear the pathway. 

Glass windows of the pedestrian walking bridge connecting the South Limestone Garage to campus shattered, leaving pieces of glass in the walkway and broken panels on South Limestone Street below. 

The Hub on Campus Lexington, an off-campus student housing complex located on South Upper Street, lost access to power and wifi. Two pieces of the building’s roof also flew off.

The marquee sign advertising The Hub on Campus Lexington – Limestone, located on S. Limestone, detached from the building and lay on the sidewalk. 

On South Broadway, a billboard advertising Golden Law Office collapsed, obstructing access to parking spots in an adjacent lot.

The Fayette County Circuit Courthouse on Short Street lost part of its roofing during the high winds. Pieces of the roof blocked E. Short Street between the Circuit and Fayette County District courthouses.  

This is a developing story and will continue to be updated.