Students get groovy at Esports Lounge ‘rhythm game night’

Samuel Colmar

Senior computer science major Phong Nguyen, left, dances with sophomore biology major Laine Call during the Esports Lounge rhythm game night on Feb. 24. 2023, at the Esports Lounge in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Samuel Colmar | Staff

Courtney Suber, Reporter

UK’s Esports Lounge hosted a rhythm game night at their location in Cornerstone Garage on Feb. 24. The event featured the video games “Just Dance” and “Clone Hero” as well as karaoke.

“Just Dance” is a dance-rhythm game which requires players to follow the moves of the dancer on screen to score points in the form of stars. “Clone Hero” is an instrument-themed game which requires players to click buttons corresponding to the colors which appear on screen.

Both games present an array of songs and artists for players to choose from.

Caleb Cole, an employee of the Esports Lounge and UK student, planned and hosted the event.

“This started back over the summer. I brought in my ‘Guitar Hero’ controller and showed it to my boss because he played it whenever he was in college,” Cole said. “He thought it was cool then decided that he wanted an event made out of it.”

After discussing logistics with his boss as well as his coworkers, they decided to create the “rhythm game night” event.

Cole said the event took about two weeks to plan and required the reserving of the Esports theater and an area of open space located in the middle of the lounge.

“Over winter break I started thinking about it and I came up with an event plan, an itinerary, and planned what we were going to do,” Cole said.

The event was promoted through fliers posted around campus as well as on social media.

Cole plans to make the event a monthly occurance. 

“This is just the first [we plan to host], this is the first test just to see how it goes,” Cole said. “I think it’s looking pretty good so far. So we should hopefully hold more and bigger events like this in the future.”

The Esports Lounge also has other playing services available such as parties and playing time which can be bought.

For more information regarding the Esports Lounge and future events, refer to the Esports website, Twitter, or Instagram.