Tyler Ulis joins Kentucky mens basketball staff

Kentucky Wildcats guard Tyler Ulis (3) talks to head coach John Calipari during the Kentucky vs. Boston University mens basketball game on Tuesday, Nov. 24, 2015, at Rupp Arena in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky won 82-62. Photo by Adam Pennavaria | Kentucky Kernel

Ali Cetinok, Assistant Sports Editor

Tyler Ulis is joining the Kentucky mens basketball coaching staff as a student assistant at the start of next semester according to Jack Pilgrim of KSR.

Having played under John Calipari from 2014-16, Ulis is one the schools most successful point guards. He is most remembered in Lexington for his freshman season in which he helped lead the 2014-15 Kentucky team that started 38-0.

In his sophomore campaign he also shined, averaging 17 points per game, breaking John Wall’s single season assist record with 246, and helped lead his team to winning both the SEC regular season and SEC Tournament championships. 

Ulis was eventually named 2016 SEC Player of the Year and was selected No. 34 overall in the 2016 NBA Draft by the Phoenix Suns.

Unfortunately for the former Sun, his career did not quite go the way he’d hoped with his last stint on a roster being with the Stockton Kings during the 2019-2020 season in the NBA G-League.

Ulis had reportedly been back on campus taking courses as a full-time student after he was involved in a car accident this past February in his home state of Michigan that put his playing career in jeopardy. 

Since the start of the ongoing 2022-2023 campaign, Calipari had been trying to get the move to add Ulis to the staff made, with it now becoming official.

Ulis joins his former coach’s staff in a similar position that Calipari’s own son, Brad, had as a graduate assistant from 2021 until earlier this year when he left for LIU Brooklyn.