‘And that’s the sound’ … of UK students not paying full price for Lizzo tickets

UK%E2%80%99s+Student+Activities+Board+will+offer+student+discounted+tickets+to+Lizzo%E2%80%99s+upcoming+tour%2C+coming+to+Rupp+Arena+in+2023.+Photo+courtesy+of+AB%2BDM+

UK’s Student Activities Board will offer student discounted tickets to Lizzo’s upcoming tour, coming to Rupp Arena in 2023. Photo courtesy of AB+DM

Laurel Swanz, Reporter

UK’s Student Activities Board (SAB) announced a collaboration with Rupp Arena to provide students with discounted “Lizzo: The Special 2our” tickets for next spring on Nov. 14.

The concert will be Saturday, April 22, 2023, at 8 p.m.

SAB provided students with the opportunity to get tickets for $30 with a $4 processing fee, according to an SAB Instagram post, available only to those with a valid LinkBlue ID. 

The tickets are for seats located in the lower bowl of the arena, according to Maddie Gatewood, vice president of promotions for SAB. Tickets in this section are selling to the general public for anywhere from $195 to $423, according to ticketmaster.com

Ticket vouchers went on sale Thursday, Nov. 17, at noon via the UK box office website, the post said. Vouchers are limited to one per student.

Students can purchase ticket vouchers via the link in SAB’s Instagram bio, where they are instructed to sign in using their LinkBlue credentials. 

Physical tickets will be distributed to those who purchased a voucher the week of the concert.

According to UK’s ticket website, there is a limited number of ticket vouchers, and there are still some tickets available. According to a story post, those who aren’t able to obtain vouchers will be placed on a waiting list.

Tickets vouchers are non-transferrable, according to the website. 

Gatewood said SAB has put on other concerts for students in the past. This included a virtual Jason Derulo concert in spring 2021, according to SAB’s website

“Although this is not the first concert we have done as an organization, we hope to continue partnerships like this in the future if it is what students want to see!” Gatewood said in an email. 

SAB’s concert series is meant to offer UK students the chance to do something they otherwise might not be able to do.

“Our goal was to give students the opportunity to see an artist that they may not have been able to see otherwise during their time here at UK!” Gatewood said.