Wednesday wrap up: Nov. 2-9

Isabel McSwain

The Wildcats celebrate a goal with the student section during the No. 1 Kentucky vs. No. 8 South Carolina soccer match in the first round of the Sun Belt Tournament on Sunday, Nov. 6, 2022, at the Wendell & Vickie Bell Soccer Complex in Lexington, Kentucky. UK won 2-1. Photo by Isabel McSwain | Staff

Ali Cetinok, Asst. Sports Editor

The “Wednesday wrap up” series gives readers a broad look at the weekly activities of all UK Athletics programs, many of which do not often have their results put in print.
The series starts with a broad recap of all events, highlights three athletes who performed particularly well or notably and wraps up with a look at the week ahead and what’s to come.
The series runs weekly from Wednesday to Wednesday.

This week in results:

The past week of sports was an eventful one of UK Athletics, with all teams going a combined 6-0 in head-to-head competitions.

Basketball:
In an emotional week for the mens basketball program after the loss of Daimion Collins’ father Ben on Tuesday, the team came together to finish the week 2-0. The Wildcats enjoyed an impressive 111-53 win over Kentucky State in their final exhibition game of the preseason before officially starting their season on Monday, beating Howard 95-63.
The womens team finished the week undefeated as well, narrowly claiming victory in its season opener against Radford, with the final score being 82-78.
Football:
Following an ugly loss against then No. 3 Tennessee on Halloween weekend, Kentucky football bounced back on the road against Missouri, winning 21-17 on Saturday. The win was the sixth of the season for Kentucky, ensuring the Cats will be eligible for a seventh-consecutive bowl game.
Rifle:
The rifle team finished its event with a team score of 2333 on Saturday in the WVU Fall Classic at the Bill McKenzie Rifle Range inside the WVU Shell Building in Morgantown, West Virginia. The performance saw the Cats finish fourth in a four-team event, the only UK athletic team to not claim victory in the week.
Soccer:
Mens soccer began its postseason in the Sun Belt Conference Tournament at home against South Carolina, ultimately winning the match 2-1 with goals from Ben Damge and Eythor Bjorgolfsson. Kentucky, the No. 1 seed, advanced into the Sun Belt Semifinals with the win.
Volleyball:
No. 20 Kentucky volleyball swept Georgia 3-0, improving to 15-6 on the season and putting itself in a tie for first place in the SEC.

Three stars for UK:

Cason Wallace, mens basketball

Making his collegiate debut, Wallace stole the show against Howard on Monday. The freshman guard recorded 15 points, eight rebounds and nine assists, which marked the second-most all-time in a Kentucky debut and was just two rebounds and one assist away from being just the fourth triple double in UK history.”

Emma Grome, volleyball

After winning both SEC player of the week and setter of the week, which marked the fifth victory by Grome, the sophomore helped lead Kentucky to a sweeping victory over Georgia with 46 assists. The win helped boost the Cats to tie for first place in the SEC standings as the regular season draws near its end.

Lucca Rodrigues, mens soccer

While it may be upcoming to see a defender make the list for a match that the team allowed a goal in, Rodriguez’s gritty performance at the heart of the Kentucky backline was pivotal for the team’s eventual victory. The veteran came from behind to save what very-well could have been a second South Carolina goal, with head coach Johan Cedergren crediting the Brazilian with playing a key role in ensuring UK’s end result.

The week to come:

Following the eventful week, UK Athletics looks to pick up right where it left off, with a hint more basketball thrown into the mix as well.

Basketball:
The mens basketball team returns to action on Friday, hosting Duquesne inside Rupp Arena. The men have a second matchup prior to next Wednesday as well, traveling to Indianapolis to take on Michigan State in the annual Champions Classic.
The womens team also returns to action on Friday, hosting Morehead State inside Memorial Coliseum.
The women also have a second match prior to Wednesday, hosting Coastal Carolina on Sunday.
Cross Country:
Cross country will travel down I-64 for NCAA Southeast Regionals in Louisville on Friday, which stands as the final event listed on the schedule this season.
Football:
The football team begins its final home stretch of the season on Saturday against the Vanderbilt Commodores, with the Cats seeking a seventh-consecutive win over Vandy.
Rifle:
The rifle team returns to action on Saturday, hosting Murray and Morehead State in the Kentucky Long Rifle Match. Kentucky hopes to get back into winning form following the disappointing result the week prior.
Soccer:
Kentucky mens soccer continues its run in the Sun Belt Tournament, hosting West Virginia on Wednesday in the semifinals. If the Wildcats are victorious over the Mountaineers, avenging a 3-3 draw earlier this season, they will advance and host the Sun Belt Championship match on Sunday against either Georgia State or James Madison.
Volleyball:
Finally, volleyball travels down to Starkville to face off against Mississippi State with every result being important for UK’s standings, being tied for first in the conference with six matches left.