UK Police report incident of sexual abuse on campus

Alexis Baker, Reporter

The University of Kentucky Police Department released a crime bulletin on Friday, Oct. 21, detailing an incident of sexual abuse on UK’s campus via email.

The bulletin, distributed via campus-wide email, said, “On Thursday, Oct. 20, 2022, the UK Police Department received a report of sexual abuse on UK’s campus. The incident is reported to have occurred Wednesday, Oct. 19, 2022, in a residence hall. A student stated that they were sexually abused by another individual.”

Those involved in the incident are receiving supportive assistance from the appropriate parties, according to the email.

“The University of Kentucky values a safe community for all students, staff, faculty, and visitors.”

The email provided tips for maintaining a secure campus environment by highlighting the importance of affirmative consent, where to learn about consent, active bystanding, the importance of making statements and utilizing campus resources such as SAFECATS and Kentucky Wildcab.

“Sexual assault is never the victim’s fault,” the email said. “The only person responsible for sexual misconduct is the perpetrator.”

Anyone interested in UK’s undertaking to end violence can contact the Violence Intervention and Prevention (VIP) Center for confidential services, support and referrals at 859-257-3574.

“You may report any incident of harassment or sexual assault as a member of the UK Community to the Title IX Coordinator at 859-257-8927 or visit their website,” the email said.