Where you lead, I will follow: ‘Gilmore Girls’ 20 years later

Delaney McGuire, Reporter

Fall is officially here, and for many people, the change of the season commences an annual “Gilmore Girls” rewatch.

Originally airing Oct. 2000-May 2007, “Gilmore Girls” follows Lorelei Gilmore and her daughter Rory as they face life together in Stars Hollow, Connecticut.

With October approaching, many have begun looking for those autumn shows and movies to bring that comforting feeling, a means of escape into that homey atmosphere.

Kathryn Johnston, a sophomore choral music education major, believes “Gilmore Girls” is the perfect comfort show to capture that cozy feeling. With the change of the season, she decided it was the best time to host a Gilmore Girls Gala, an event for students to get together and watch the top three episodes.

Johnston is a peer mentor for the Creative Arts Living Learning Program (LLP) and is actively involved in hosting events for creative arts students. These events range from tutoring sessions and personality tests to Kermit painting nights and CD decorating.

“I love ‘Gilmore Girls,’ and I have for several years,” Johnston said. “I know several other people in the LLP love ‘Gilmore Girls,’ so I thought it would be a fun way to get people together to eat some donuts, drink some coffee and watch some episodes.”

Between the endless coffee runs on chilly nights, twinkling lights strung throughout the town, and Carole King’s voice singing over fallen leaves, “Gilmore Girls” perfectly fills the fall comfort aspect.

Throughout the past 20 years, “Gilmore Girls” has created a fan base whose devotion has passed through generations. Its most dedicated viewers host fan accounts, creating edits and reposting clips from the show, broadcasting it even more.

Many viewers have gained access to “Gilmore Girls” through streaming services like Netflix, which recently produced a sequel to the series “Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life.” With this unlimited access, “Gilmore Girls” has become a fall staple in many homes throughout the years, Johnston’s being one of them.

“‘Gilmore Girls’ is like a crisp autumn morning and a hot cup of coffee. It is family and friends and laughter, but it’s also sad. And it’s life. It’s what I watch when I get ready in the morning and what I watch when I’m having a bad day. Nothing compares to it,” Johnston said.

Though the Gilmore Girls Gala was supposed to take place on Saturday, September 24th, Johnston had to cancel due to some last-minute technical issues. She hopes to try again in the future.

“I’m hoping to do another ‘Gilmore Girls’ event someday since this one didn’t work. I love being a part of these events. Knowing that the students can get together and create a community in their dorm is amazing,” Johnston said.

Twenty years later, Stars Hollow has managed to remain a source of comfort for viewers around the world. The lasting impact of “Gilmore Girls” can be seen in various ways, bringing groups together and serving as a bit of warmth for us all. Fans of Lorelei and Rory should keep an eye out for the next Gilmore Girls Gala and make sure to not forget their cup of coffee.