UK Board of Trustees discusses facility names, enrollment statistics

Jack Weaver

UK president Eli Capilouto gives a speech during a Board of Trustees meeting on Friday, Sept. 16, 2022, at the Gatton Student Center in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Jack Weaver | Staff

Alexis Baker, Reporter

The University of Kentucky Board of Trustees met Sept. 16 to induct new members, discuss enrollment statistics, approve new job postings and name the new indoor track & field facility.

The board approved the Jim Green Indoor Track & Field Center, the new name of UK’s indoor track & field facility. Members also approved the Rose Street redevelopment park project to be named Alumni Commons.

Additionally, university president Eli Capilouto gave a report about this year’s enrollment statistics. Since fall 2021, the total enrollment increased 4.5%, from 31,536 to 32,955. When looking at the incoming first-year class specifically, since fall 2021, enrollment increased 29.6%, from 4,721 to 6,120. 

Capilouto highlighted an increase in racial diversity and first-generation students. For freshmen, the underrepresented minority rate increased 23.5%, from 891 students to 1,100. Overall, there was a 15.9% increase in Black, non-Hispanic students, a 26.8% increase in two or more races and a 31.4% increase in Hispanic or Latinx students, regardless of race. 

The board also unanimously appointed Rosalie Mainous as the new dean of the College of Nursing.

In addition, Michael Banahan, Benny Bell Williams, Dermot Ryan, Lynn Jones, Bill Thomason, Jamie Eads and Chauncey Morris were all reappointed the Board of Directors for the Gluck Equine Board of Research Foundation. These appointments carry a two-year term.

Six new Board of Trustee members were inducted at the beginning of the meeting: 

• Tom Able, a renowned, board-certified ophthalmologist, who received his undergraduate and attended medical school at UK
  • Todd Case, UK alumnus and owner of many prominent businesses across the commonwealth 
  • Aaron Cramer, professor of electrical and chemical engineering at UK 
  • Brenda Gosney, who received her Bachelor of Health Science in Physical Therapy and a Masters of Science degree in higher and adult education, as well as being a prominent figure in healthcare
  • Andrew Laws, a senior at UK studying public policy on a pre-law track. Laws is the student body president and is involved in a multitude of other student organizations on campus.
  • Lance Lucas, UK alumnus with a Bachelor of Science in Economics and a Juris Doctorate from UK Law, Lucas served as a pilot in the United States Air Force and is a veteran of Operation Desert Storm; he has worked as a renowned lawyer since. 

Trustee E. Britt Brockman, the chair of the University Healthcare Committee, shared a report on the 2021 fiscal year and the UK Children’s Hospital 25th Anniversary. 

“Vice President Mark Birdwhistell gave a report to the committee on the status of UK Healthcares’s Medicaid-directed payment program. UK Healthcare has successfully improved its performance year [after] year in this program,” Brockman said. 

Dr. Mark Newman gave the report regarding UK Healthcare’s 2022 fiscal year unaudited finances. 

UK Healthcare’s Chief Financial Officer, Craig Collins, and Chief Operations Officer, Peter Gilbert, also delivered an operational and financial update for the July fiscal year 2023.

The chair for pediatrics at the Kentucky Children’s Hospital’s physician-in-chief, Dr. Scottie Day, also gave an update to the committee about the hospital’s recent 25th anniversary celebration. 

“The healthcare committee recommended approval of 4 FCRs and approved a UHCCR to create a corporation under the Beyond Blue corporation to organize affiliated community practices and form a limited liability company to expand and improve patient access,” Day said. “Lastly, the committee approved the list of privileges and appointments submitted by the UK healthcare active medical staff.”