Event answers law students’ questions

By Ryan Lasley

Students with questions about law school can find answers from degree programs around the country at today’s Law Day.

Phi Alpha Delta law fraternity sponsors the annual event that will take place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the first floor of the White Hall Classroom Building and will offer information and advice for students interested in pursuing a law degree.

“Many students are looking to get into law school and (Law Day) allows them to see whether or not they would want to attend,” said Nate Simon, president of Phi Alpha Delta.

Representatives from around 25 law schools including the University of Notre Dame, Vanderbilt University and the University of Louisville will set up tables of information. Simon called the event a “law school fair.”

“It gives students a good opportunity to meet a variety of different law schools and meet them personally,” Simon said.

Nearly 10 more schools were added to the event this year and Simon said he and Phi Alpha Delta are enthusiastic about the increase in participants.

The quality of UK’s academics could be one factor for the increase in the number of schools attending Law Day, he said.

“UK has risen to the level of academic excellence where schools want to come,” Simon said.

He credited the “high-caliber performance of students” for this improvement in academics and the addition of schools represented at the fair.

Law Day can also give students insight into the specifics of each program and what makes them different from other schools, Simon said.

“A lot of students stress with law school so it helps with providing info they may not have seen otherwise,” Simon said.

Alex Garcia, a coordinator of Law Day, said this type of event establishes a system of communication between future law students.

“It’s great being able to network with people,” he said.