Voter-a-palooza to offer info on getting to polls

Students needing a ride to the polls today can find out how to get one at Voter-a-palooza, the final part in a series of Student Government events focused on today’s gubernatorial election.

SG is working with UK College Republicans, UK College Democrats and Kentuckians for the Commonwealth to provide candidate information for registered voters.

Nate Simon, SG deputy chief of staff for policy, said SG will pass out informational materials to students outside the White Hall Classroom Building from 10 a.m. to noon today.

The information will include facts on the candidates, polling locations and services provided by KFTC, including rides to the polls, Simon said.

“We’re trying to provide information about where to vote, and we’re providing information about a service for students without transportation,” he said. “We’ll also provide information about smaller races (students) may not have heard about.”

SG has hosted a series of events for the gubernatorial election, including a voter registration drive, a candidate forum and a mock election. Voter-a-palooza is aimed at giving students every opportunity to know how to vote, Simon said.

“Now (students) can’t use the excuse that they didn’t know where to vote or that they couldn’t get to the polls,” he said.

Voter-a-palooza is the conclusion of the election events, and the final effort to get students out to the polls today, said SG Chief of Staff Chris Crumrine.

“Up to this point we have provided people with the opportunity to register, and we brought the voting machines to campus so they know how to vote,” he said. “This is the final piece of a three-step process.”

Even though the election will be over tonight, Voter-a-palooza is something that SG will likely host again, Crumrine said.

“This is a beneficial program that can be instituted for elections to come, including next year’s presidential race,” he said.