Patterson named SEC Freshman of the Week for third time this season

Patrick Patterson earned his third Southeastern Conference Freshman of the Week award for his play last week.

The forward averaged 17 points and 10 rebounds in UK’s victories over Georgia and Arkansas, including his ninth 20-point game of the season against the Bulldogs last Tuesday.

Patterson also notched his sixth double-double of the season against the Razorbacks on Saturday, as he helped the Cats push their record at Rupp Arena to 6-0 in conference play.

Patterson became the fourth freshman in the conference to earn at least three Freshman of the Week honors this season, joining Vanderbilt’s A.J. Ogilvy, Ole Miss’s Chris Warren and Louisiana State’s Anthony Randolph.

The Huntington, W.V., native is second among SEC freshman in scoring and rebounding, at 16.5 points and 7.8 rebounds per game.

His double-double against Arkansas tied him with Jamal Mashburn for the fifth-most double-doubles by a freshman in UK history. With 396 points, he’s also fifth on UK’s freshman scoring list and only 68 points behind Rex Chapman, who scored a freshman-record 464 points in 1987.

Patterson is part of a freshman takeover in the SEC. No freshman has finished in the top-10 in points and rebounds in the conference since Georgia’s Jumaine Jones in 1997-98. This year, Ogilvy and Patterson are in the top-10 in both categories.

Tennessee’s Tyler Smith earned SEC Player of the Week honors after leading the Volunteers with 16 points, including the game-winning basket in their win over then-No. 1 Memphis on Saturday.

Weather forces baseball to change schedule of home-opening series

Due to the threat of inclement weather, the UK baseball team changed the schedule for its home-opening series against Oakland.

UK was originally scheduled to play Oakland today and tomorrow.

Instead, the Cats will open their home schedule today with a doubleheader against the Golden Grizzlies at Cliff Hagan Stadium. The first game will begin at 1 p.m. and the second game will follow immediately at 4 p.m.

In its first action of the season, UK (3-0) swept the 23rd annual Coca-Cola Classic in Mobile, Ala., with wins over Xavier, Fairfield and South Alabama over the weekend.