‘Worst video ever’ earns student TRL visit

When Josh Rupp, an integrated strategic communications junior, jokingly decided to submit a video for an online contest, he never imagined that a few weeks later he would be on his way to New York City for an appearance on “Total Request Live.”

Rupp, who entered MTV’s “My Big Prom Night with Brittany Snow” competition, is being flown to the Big Apple and will appear on today’s airing of TRL at 3:30 p.m.

TRL is an hour-long show that started in 1998. The show lets viewers vote for the top-10 music videos of the day.

Contest participants had to submit a video telling Snow, one of the stars in the new movie “Prom Night,” why she should pick them to go to the film premiere with her. Rupp described his submission as the “worst video ever.”

“I don’t know how I won. It’s not creative at all,” he said. “I just held the camera up like a MySpace picture.”

Rupp is one of three finalists in the competition. The winner will receive a trip to Los Angeles to attend the premiere.

“I knew of Brittany Snow from ‘Nip/Tuck’ and ‘Hairspray,’ but I’m a huge horror movie fan, so that’s why I entered,” Rupp said. “It doesn’t hurt that she’s gorgeous.”

On TRL, the three finalists’ videos will be shown, and Snow will choose the winner live.

If Rupp’s video is chosen, he and his guest, political science senior Tyler Fleck, will fly to Los Angeles tomorrow and attend the premiere with Snow on Thursday.

“We’re just so excited,” Fleck said. “Hopefully we’ll win the trip to L.A. and get to be on the red carpet.”

In the case that Rupp’s video is not chosen, he and Fleck will be flown back to Lexington.

“It’s really a win-win situation though,” Rupp said. “The estimated cost of the trip is $3,900, and it’s a great experience.”

The two admitted they are nervous about being on national TV. Rupp said people at the Student Activities Board, SAB Concert Committee, DanceBlue and Student Government have all asked for a “shout-out,” and if given the chance he will try to say hello to UK.

“I don’t know if I’ll get to talk,” he said. “But if I do, I definitely will.”

Although some may give students a hard time for trying out for the “Real World” or for submitting videos for random online contests, Rupp said he is proof that the effort can pay off.

“It didn’t take over seven minutes to make the video and submit it, and out of that I’m getting a free trip and being on MTV,” he said. “Don’t be afraid to submit stuff. You always have a chance.”