O.A.R. to bring love, make memories at UK

By Sara Tracy

If you’re up music’s creek without a paddle, try using O.A.R. instead.

O.A.R., an American jam band from Rockville, Md., is scheduled to perform at UK’s Memorial Coliseum tomorrow at 8 p.m.

“Students should get with their friends, come out to the show and take a break from studying this week,” said Ashlee Harris, an integrated strategic communications junior and the Student Activities Board public relations director. “The SAB was excited to have the opportunity to bring this band for the students — not only do they have amazing music, but an inspirational story that hits close to home for all of us who feel like our dreams are too big to chase sometimes.”

The band, composed of Marc Roberge (vocals, guitar), Chris Culos (drums, percussion), Richard On (guitar, back-up vocals), Benj Gershman (bass guitar) and Jerry DePizzo (saxophone, guitar, back-up vocals), is known for songs such as “The Wanderer,” “Hey Girl” and “Love and Memories.”

The band has been featured on “TRL,” “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno,” “Late Night with Conan O’Brien” and “Last Call with Carson Daly,” and has received the “Streaming Woodie” award from MTVU in 2006 because its hit “Lay Down” was the most downloaded, according to a press release.

Josh Rupp, SAB director of concerts, also an integrated strategic communications junior, is excited the opportunity to bring O.A.R. to campus is finally a reality.

“This concert is really in celebration of the students at UK because O.A.R. is a group that people have wanted to see come to this area for an undoubtedly long time,” Rupp said. “It’s a band that is extremely popular in the mainstream musical perspective, and also really hits home for many of the college students pursuing passions of their own.”

Students can purchase tickets with their student ID at the Student Center Ticket Master office. The general public may purchase tickets online at the Ticketmaster Web site (www.ticketmaster.com). Tickets cost $15 for students, $25 for faculty, staff and the general public.

For more information on the show or other upcoming SAB events, check the SAB Web site (www.uksab.org).