UK begins to make first steps for smaller carbon footprint

As gas prices continue to soar, UK students, faculty and staff have another worry to add to their list of monetary concerns: the cost of commuting.

It’s a relief to see that the university is making steps toward creating a more environmentally friendly campus.

By offering two services that should alleviate the pressures of rising gas costs on students, faculty and staff, UK Parking and Transportation Services is making significant strides toward progress.

As reported in last week’s Kernel, LexTran and PTS have partnered together to offer any full-time faculty or staff member with a valid E-parking permit the opportunity to switch a permit for a month-long trial pass on the new LexTran 41-X Commuter Express. The express allows employees to hop on the bus at the Wal-Mart on Nicholasville Road and take it into campus. Hopefully employees will take advantage of this program, as it should significantly reduce not only carbon emissions, but also the strain of having to fill a commuting car’s gas tank every week.

Just announced yesterday, PTS has launched AlterNetRides, an online ride-sharing program that coordinates rides between UK students, faculty and staff. Students will be able to find carpools, save money and take another step in reducing their impact on the environment.

While these steps are beneficial and necessary, UK will inevitably need to take more steps in making their carbon footprint smaller.

On May 29 it was reported in the Herald-Leader that Lexington leaves the biggest carbon footprint among major metropolitans in the United States. Los Angeles and New York were among the ten best in the country, according to a Brookings Institution study.

Both UK and Lexington need to begin making more steps toward creating a greener Lexington. The Kernel hopes to see more programs from UK that will Lexington’s carbon footprint smaller than the two largest metropolitan cities in the United States.