News Briefs

UK gets graded on sustainability effort

The Sustainable Endowments Institute announced the results for the College Sustainability Report Card, for which UK and other Kentucky colleges were graded on their efforts to create a sustainable campus.

UK received a C for the overall grade, as did Centre College. The University of Louisville received a B- and Berea College received a B.

The report card uses surveys to judge sustainability efforts in nine main areas including administration, climate change and energy, food and recycling, transportation, and investment priorities.

Richard Levine, a UK architecture professor, is a member of the UK Sustainability Advisory Committee. Levine said he has not read the report yet but he feels UK is doing more than ever to encourage sustainability on campus.

“The university has been very cautious in embracing sustainability issues, but a recent number of activities are suggesting that, in the future, it will be become a very important item on UK’s agenda,” he said.

Report Card

Administration: C

Climate Change and

Energy: D

Food and Recycling: B

Green Building: D

Student Involvement: D

Transportation: A

Investment Priorities: C

For the complete report card, visit www.greenreportcard.org.

Equestrian Games sets date for ticket sales

Tickets for the 2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games will go on sale Sept. 25, 2009, said Games spokeswoman Amy Wilson.

The World Equestrian Games will be from Sept. 25 to Oct. 10, 2010 at the Kentucky Horse Park.

Reserved tickets for each of the eight equestrian sports, as well as general admission tickets, will be available through Ticketmaster.com on Sept. 25, 2009. Prices will be finalized next year, Wilson said.

The World Games 2010 Foundation, which is organizing the games, has estimated that 600,000 tickets for reserved seats will be sold for the games before they end.

Also released this week is the competition schedule for the 16-day games. The sports included for the event include show jumping, dressage, eventing, driving, endurance, vaulting, reining and para-equestrian.

A complete list of World Equestrian Games events is available at the official Web site, (www.feigames2010.org).