Lending an ear: annual gathering provides voice for students

Britney McIntosh//Kentucky Kernel

By Melissa Warren

The Kentucky state government wants to know what students want.

As part of a state-wide coordinated effort, students from UK and other Kentucky public institutions will join to communicate their concerns to Kentucky-elected officials on Tuesday.

The UK Student Government is inviting students to join them in Frankfort to support higher education and address issues important to college students during the annual Rally for Higher Education.

The governor and legislators will meet with student body presidents and students of several Kentucky public institutions that will have the opportunity to speak about issues they face in their education.

“It provides an avenue for students to share their concerns,” said Ben Duncan, SG chief of staff.  “It’s a way to remind lawmakers of challenges facing students today.”

Christopher Crumrine serves as the student appointee to the Council on Postsecondary Education, a council that coordinates change and improvement in postsecondary education in the Commonwealth.

Crumrine said the rally is an opportunity for students to play a role in public policy, and he anticipates  funding for higher education and tuition rates to be among the discussion topics.

“The rate at which the state funds public education has an impact on how universities (are able to) provide services to students,” Crumrine said.

The rally will take place in the capitol building’s rotunda in Frankfort, and SG will provide lunch and transportation. Those interested should go to http://bit.ly/kyrally to sign up and reserve their spot. The deadline to sign up is Monday.

Those planning to attend should meet at the intersection of Administrative and Patterson drives between the Patterson Office Tower and the Student Center at 11:15 a.m. to board the buses. Students will return to campus by 3:30 p.m.

Duncan said the event is a TallyCats event. For more information on the rally visit (www.uksga.org).