UK beats Florida in blood battle

UK beat the University of Florida in a competition over the weekend — but it did not have to do with players shooting a ball into a net.

For the second year in a row, Kentucky donors beat Florida donors in the “Big Blue Slam” blood drive, which ended Friday, according to a Kentucky Blood Center news release.

UK had a total of 1,543 donors, and 1,481 donors gave representing Florida, according to the news release.

About 270 UK students, faculty and staff gave at the blood drives on campus last week, said Stephanie French, executive director of marketing and communications for the Kentucky Blood Center, in an e-mail to the Kernel.

UK students and staff were not the only ones donating for the competition, however.

The Kentucky Blood Center had drives in more than 60 counties in central and eastern Kentucky and at four donor centers in Beaumont, Andover, Pikeville and Somerset, French said.

French said the week was particularly helpful, because it stocked the shelves right before Spring Break, when campus and high school drives stop.

Those who registered for the competition and those who register to donate for the Kentucky Blood Center during the month of March are eligible to win tickets to the NCAA Final Four. To make an appointment to donate or find the drive closest to you, visit (www.kybloodcenter. org).