English department awards students, staff

By JP Lepping

A UK department honored numerous students and faculty for their work. How To Start A Hair Salon. alt=”” width=”98″ height=”97″ />

The Department of English held its 29th Annual Awards Ceremony Wednesday afternoon to honor success throughout the last year.

“These awards are a great way to create a small community within this large university,” said Professor Thomas M. Clayton, chairman of the Department of English.

Holly Goddard Jones, a UK graduate and current professor at the University of North Carolina Greensboro, was the keynote speaker at the ceremony. After attending UK, Jones went on to earn her masters from the Ohio State University and is the author of the book titled Girl Trouble.

“I won the Dantzler-Dantzler Award as a student here at UK,” Jones said. “I feel as if that experience of winning the award has really helped me throughout my writing career.”

The English department gives the Dantzler Award to an English senior for outstanding academic achievement in the field, according to the College of Arts and Sciences Web site.

“The best way to become a better writer is to read and read a lot,” she said.

Sophomore Mary Kathryn Corley won the Essay Award for her piece titled “When You’re Here, You’re Family.”

“I was very honored, but more surprised when I found that I had won,” Corley said. “I plan to continue writing and eventually major in English.”

The awards also recognized members of the faculty. Sarah Schuetze received the Outstanding Writing Program Teaching Assistant award, Judith Gatton Prats received the Outstanding Writing Program Instructor award and George M. Phillips received the Outstanding Teaching Assistant: Literature of Film award.

Professor Ellen Rosenman, author of numerous books and former chair of the English department, received Faculty Recognition: Twenty-Five Years.

About 50 members of the department were honored for their achievements at UK, including those about to graduate.

“We feel with all the success (that) our students and faculty achieve over the course of the year, they need to be recognized,” Clayton said.

How To Start A Hair Salon.