Bike program demonstrates initiative, moves UK into future

Kernel Editorial Board

Sometimes all it just takes a little effort to make a big difference. At least that’s how it worked for Wildcat Wheels.

According to an April 5 Kernel article, Wildcat Wheels recently expanded the Residence Hall Bicycle Program from a pilot fleet of 12 bikes to 42.

This says a lot coming from a program that began in 2004 from the living room of UK Sustainability Coordinator Shane Tedder.

But it doesn’t stop there. The total number of bikes the program is able to lend out is 150 bikes spread out between four fleets.

“Our fleets began with a general fleet, of which we now have close to 80,” Drew Combs. a Wildcat Wheels shop manager said.

“This provides free, sustainable transportation to students, faculty and staff that many times would not be available and may be replaced by a car.”

The program’s general fleet allows users to reserve a bike at the beginning of the semester for the duration of the semester, on a first come, first serve basis.

The other fleets are dedicated to daily rentals for departments and residence halls for people to use for errands and travel during university hours.

Not only can an individual have a bike for an entire semester, but if there is a need to have one for a day it’s there.

This shows a commitment to the different needs of potential bike users, along with the program’s desire to truly impact campus.

Student Government, which was a founding funding partner, the Student Sustainability Council and Resident Student Association all should be applauded. Without this support it would be extremely difficult to grow the program and raise awareness.

But as the program grows, awareness must increase so that the program can continue to expand and push the university to the future.

With continuously decreasing parking and a national desire to go green, adding more in terms of alternative transportation is a good thing.

A free service designed to relieve some of the stress on the environment, while getting consumers to exercise, is a great thing.

Additionally, the extra services such as teaching individuals to work to their own bike and traveling workshops make the program more valuable than the average service.

Hopefully, the UK and the Lexington community will take notice and force the program to grow because of high demand.