In Amazing race, food’s the draw

Memorial Hall and the Johnson Center may not rank with the Taj Mahal and Great Wall of China, but they could be stops during UK’s version of the Amazing Race.

As a part of K Week, the Alumni Association and K Book Team are hosting an “Amazing Race” around campus Wednesday night. Participants in UK’s version of the CBS whirlwind travel competition show “The Amazing Race” will depart from the Alumni Association.

Freshmen in teams of two will follow clues leading to various locations and requiring them to perform certain tasks. Bo Milburn, communications senior and editor for the K Book, said students are excited about the event.

Despite the large number of K Week events students have to choose from, “The Amazing Race” consistently has a good turnout with students, Milburn said. The event is the result of a collaboration between the K Book and Alumni Association.

Milburn said the K Book team hopes the event will not only show students what a resource K Book can be, but also help them make some new friends.

The event will kick off with a cookout from 5 to 7 p.m. at the Alumni Association, located on Rose Street.

“What draws students out is the cookout because there is all that free food,” Milburn said.

The K Book is a UK tradition that began as the Freshman Handbook in 1901. Every freshmen receives a K Book about a month before classes begin.

Racers will be able to use the K Book to help them win, and the first few finishing teams will be awarded prizes. Milburn said past prizes have included giftcards.

Freshmen racers need to be prepared to dash around campus.

“Everyone goes crazy in the last stretch,” Milburn said.

Milburn said during last year’s race he saw participants launching over bushes to sprint to the finish line.

The cookout will be held Wednesday from 5 to 7 p.m. at the Alumni Association, located on Rose Street, with the race will begining at 7 p.m.