Students move out after moving in

Students in university housing on Linden Walk have been given 48 hours to vacate and move into cooperstown due to the buildings poor electric wiring. August 28, 2010. Photo by Britney McIntosh

When music performance sophomore Yunjung Lee moved into her apartment Aug. 18, she expected to live there for the duration of the school year.

Ten days later, UK officials forced Lee and 11 other international students to vacate their apartments after a routine inspection revealed electrical problems.

“I don’t want to move, but I didn’t have a choice,” Lee said. “I had just gotten organized, and now I have to move again.”

Crumbling insulation surrounding electrical wires forced out students living at an apartment complex at 404 Linden Walk, said Ben Crutcher, associate vice president of Auxiliary Services.

“We had maintenance reports of strange things happening with the lighting,” Crutcher said. “We talked to the UK fire marshal and decided there were safety concerns.”

To accommodate the displaced students, UK has rented rooms at a hotel for the weekend and will have units available at Cooperstown Apartments, Shawneetown Apartments and Commonwealth Village. Students will be charged the same rate they paid at the Linden Walk complex, Crutcher said.

“We’re going to look at the cause and get estimates,” Crutcher said. “We just don’t want students in any kind of danger.”

Although moving to a safer home, Lee, who will be at Cooperstown Apartments, will miss the luxury of being close to her classes.

“It takes me two minutes to walk to the Fine Arts Building,” Lee said. “Now it will take at least 15.”

The move will also hinder Lee from practicing for the upcoming Lexington Philharmonic Orchestra Auditions. Lee said she hopes to be prepared for the tryout, but moving and reorganizing will cut into her practice time.

Although inconvenienced, finance sophomore Pin Chen lauded UK for its efforts in accommodating the displaced students.

“They gave us a free hotel and a free truck to move,” Chen said. “They’ve been really helpful and friendly.”