Alarm rings new year, student makes comparison

Column by Cassidy Herrington.

The alarm clock rings, and the drowsy student clumsily reaches to silence the shrill clangor in her ears.

This alarm clock represents your class. In an analog [not digital] clock, interlocking cogs and gears work diligently behind the face to maintain the rhythmic tick of the second hand.

A class is no different. Students push limits to achieve their unique, respective goals and collectively, they represent the whole university.

I mention this point for the sake of time. In the scope of a lifetime, college is brief [unless, of course, you keep coming back], but is an illustrative tool for the future.

Last year’s freshman class was unrivaled in size, diversity and achievement. The entering class brought record numbers of international students, minorities, National Merit Scholars and high ACT scores.

One year later, the freshman class of 2014 promises greater numbers (although the statistics will not be released until the end of the add/drop period).

With the increasing trend of changing demographics, prepare for exposure to new ideas, conflicts and cultures.

Similarly, each gear and cog has a respective role and is unique in shape, weight and color. Regardless, a cog’s importance is equal to the rest.

Obviously, we see the face of a clock, but rarely do we see what operates behind it.

As the leaves change hue, Lexington will change also. The once ordinary downtown will morph into a frenzied global crossroads for the World Equestrian Games. In November, two polarized candidates will battle for Kentucky’s Senate.

During these times, exposure to different gears of thought is an opportunity to experience the world behind what is apparent.

Behind the face of organizations, leaders and events, exist heroes and hypocrites, compassion and corruption.

The second hand only permits us to observe the obvious, but I encourage you to see things a different way. Make use of time to experience the most of your college life — look beyond the face of an issue, and delve into the gears.

The gears rotate, and your alarm rings.

Take this time to ask questions, reach across social circles and absorb opinions. Misconceptions begin with misinformation and negligence. Before solidifying an opinion, examine all sides.

A new hour tolls the 2010-2011 school year. The second hand is ticking, and the time to act is now. Tick-tock.