UK to hold December graduation ceremony

By Laura Karr

December and summer graduates will have another reason to celebrate this year with UK’s first ever December commencement ceremony.

All students who graduate in December — undergraduate, masters and doctoral — will have the opportunity to participate in the full traditional ceremony.

“UK decided to add a commencement ceremony because there was no acknowledgment for these students,” said Kathy Johnson, UK main campus news bureau director.

Allyson Pierce, a fifth-year nursing student, is participating in the December commencement.

Before news of the ceremony, Pierce said she was upset because she would not be recognized.

“I was sort of disappointed that the university didn’t recognize the December graduates,” Pierce said. “I’ve put my hard work, time and money to earn my degree, and I believe that we should all get the recognition that the actual May graduates receive.”

The December commencement will be on Dec. 17 in two separate ceremonies. Graduate and professional students’ ceremonies will be held at 3 p.m. in the Concert Hall at the Singletary Center. Undergraduate students’ ceremonies will be held at 6 p.m. in Memorial Coliseum.

UK President Lee Todd and one student who will be selected through an application and committee process will speak at the undergraduate commencement.

Students must RSVP by Oct. 22 to participate in the ceremony and can do so at, (www.uky.edu/Commencement/).

Undergraduate students who provide name and major will be displayed on a screen as the student walks across the stage. Students may also fill out the application to speak at the commencement ceremony on the website provided.