UK ‘steps’ into dance culture

By Colin Walsh

Slap, clap, thump, jump and groove – Step Afrika is making its way to the Singletary Center tonight.

“Stepping,” a blend of tap, dance, rhythm and cultural richness has been a staple in African American pop culture for years.

It has grown over the years to embody the traditions of many African-American fraternities and sororities, but few acts are as well known and respected worldwide as Step Afrika.

The first professional dance company of its kind, the organization also serves as a cultural ambassador and educational resource to help bridge the gap between the cultures of the United States and South Africa.

According to its website, the company describes itself as a “model for the use of stepping in educational settings, espousing themes such as teamwork, academic achievement and cross-cultural understanding.”

Ginai Clarkson, Company Manager of Step Afrika, says that the company is focused on entertainment but also works diligently to get students excited to academics, graduation and the college experience as a whole.

“We are very excited to return to the University of Kentucky,” Clarkson said. “We would like to thank (UK) for having us back. We’re looking forward to entertaining the student body.”

What Step Afrika is today is the culmination of many years of interaction with the people of South Afrika during the annual Step Afrika International Cultural Festival in Johannesburg, where Step Afrika partners with the Soweto Dance Theatre to swap dance styles from around the world and to diffuse those cultures.

Thanks to the long running festival, audience members should expect plenty of unique dance during the perfromances.

Clarkson advises attendees to expect an “exciting and slam packed show” that will act as a “cultural exchange of different styles of percussive dance from around the world.” Everything from Zulu and African Gumboot, performed by dancers wearing

Wellington style rubber-boots, to traditional hip-hop and stepping will be a part of the show.

The team of dancers is comprised of 11 members, who hail from all different parts of the US. While they tour 150 cities yearly, their UK visit is a part of the annual 50-city tour of American colleges and universities.

Step Afrika has been around since 1994 and have performed in various locations around the world including North and South America, Europe, Africa and the Caribbean.

The Washington, DC-based performance company has also been featured in cultural dance documentaries and on many television and radio satiations, including CNN, BET, PBS and NPR.

Slap, clap, thump, jump and groove – Step Afrika is making its way to Singletary Center tonight.“Stepping,” a blend of tap, dance, rhythm and cultural richness has been a staple in African American pop culture for years. It has grown over the years to embody the traditions of many African-American fraternities and sororities, but few acts are as well known and respected worldwide as Step Afrika.The first professional dance company of its kind, the organization also serves as a cultural ambassador and educational resource to help bridge the gap between the cultures of the United States and South Africa.According to their website, the company describes themselves as a “model for the use of stepping in educational settings, espousing themes such as teamwork, academic achievement and cross-cultural understanding.”Ginai Clarkson, Company Manager of Step Afrika, says that the company is focused on entertainment but also works diligently to get students excited to academics, graduation and the college experience as a whole.“We are very excited to return to the University of Kentucky,” Clarkson said. “We would like to thank (UK) for having us back. We’re looking forward to entertaining the student body.”What Step Afrika is today is the culmination of many years of interaction with the people of South Afrika during the annual Step Afrika International Cultural Festival in Johannesburg, where Step Afrika partners with the Soweto Dance Theatre to swap dance styles from around the world and to diffuse those cultures.Thanks to the long running festival, audience members should expect plenty of unique dance during the perfromances. Clarkson advises attendees to expect an “exciting and slam packed show” that will act as a “cultural exchange of different styles of percussive dance from around the world.” Everything from Zulu and African Gumboot, performed by dancers wearingWellington style rubber-boots, to traditional hip-hop and stepping will be a part of the show.The team of dancers is comprised of 11 members, who hail from all different parts of the US. While they tour 150 cities yearly, their UK visit is a part of the annual 50-city tour of American colleges and universities.Step Afrika has been around since 1994 and have performed in various locations around the world including North and South America, Europe, Africa and the Caribbean.The Washington, DC-based performance company has also been featured in cultural dance documentaries and on many television and radio satiations, including CNN, BET, PBS and NPR.