Moon Festival shines light on China

By Zach Walton

The Chinese knew how to party during autumn with the moon, nature’s disco ball.

Students will have a chance to experience Chinese culture on Saturday, September 18 with the Moon Festival at the Moondance at Midnight Amphitheater. The event is sponsored by The Kentucky Chinese American Association (KYCAA) and the UK Confucius Institute.

The Moon Festival will give students an opportunity to participate in a long running Chinese celebration while enjoying moon cakes, traditional song and dance, and learning a little about Chinese culture as well.

“The Moon Festival, also known as the mid-autumn festival, is one of the most important holidays celebrated by Chinese people around the world,”president of KYCAA Changzheng Wang said. “The holiday probably originated from the harvest celebration farmers had at the end of the summer. Family members will travel very far to be together for this special occasion. For those who cannot be together for one reason or another, they can take comfort in eating the moon cake, gazing at the The Chinese knew how to party during autumn with the moon, nature’s disco ball.  Students will have a chance to experience Chinese culture on Saturday, September 18 with the Moon Festival at the Moondance at Midnight Amphitheater. The event is sponsored by The Kentucky Chinese American Association (KYCAA) and the UK Confucius Institute.The Moon Festival will give students an opportunity to participate in a long running Chinese celebration while enjoying moon cakes, traditional song and dance, and learning a little about Chinese culture as well. “The Moon Festival, also known as the mid-autumn festival, is one of the most important holidays celebrated by Chinese people around the world,”president of KYCAA Changzheng Wang said. “The holiday probably originated from the harvest celebration farmers had at the end of the summer. Family members will travel very far to be together for this special occasion. For those who cannot be together for one reason or another, they can take comfort in eating the moon cake, gazing at the same moon while thinking of their loved ones.” Students may enjoy a Chinese snack known as the moon cake and even be a judge for a nominal fee.“Only a few people from the community still know how to make moon cakes and they will submit some for the ‘Best Fresh Moon Cake’ contest,” Wang said. “We also have ordered some from a New York bakery and visitors have a chance to buy some if they are there early enough.”

For the live entertainment, the Moon Festival has booked some great talent that is sure to please. The well-known dance artist, Cheryle Pan, is directing the choreography at the event. She has been called the “Woman of a 1,000 dances, Wang said. “The festival will be a good opportunity for people to see some very beautiful dances choreographed by her,” Wang said.  “Visitors may also get a chance to learn some dance moves from the artist that day.”Students will be able to learn about the background of the festival and some key Chinese phrases that may foster an interest in the language.“Many of the cultural displays will help people to understand the festival. Students attending the event will be able to interact with people and experience the excitement people have for the festival,” Wang said. “There will also be mini-Chinese lessons offered on-site. Students may pick up some Chinese sentences they may find useful if they ever end up in China some day.”The moon will be out to party with the best of them Saturday night. “Come join us and celebrate a great cultural tradition,” Wang said.