Fire Safety events held for students

By Gary Hermann

UK students can learn about fire safety every Wednesday in September during events held as a part of Campus Fire Safety Month.

The events will include a fire engine, fire extinguisher training, a smoke tent, emergency management information, a canopy with free t-shirts and a memorial display.

This weekly gathering will give the Lexington Fire Department an opportunity to connect with the students in a relaxed and engaging environment.

According to the UK Office of Fire Marshal schedule, events will be held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. staring at the New North residence hall Wednesday.  Later events will be at the Commons Complex on Sept. 8, the Main Building on Sept. 15, the Good Samaritan Hospital on Sept. 22 and the Chandler Hospital on Sept. 29.

“College fire officials throughout the state strive every day to educate our students, faculty and staff about the dangers of a fire situation and fire prevention,” UK Fire Marshal Greg Williamson said.

“Campus Fire Safety Month gives every fire official the forum in which to spread the message of ‘Get Out and Stay Alive’.”

Justin Palmer, a sophomore English major and resident adviser in Holmes Hall, echoed the importance of fire safety,

“Fire safety means saving lives,” Palmer said, “The lives of my residents are very important to me.”

Holmes Hall has already handled an evacuation this year, when the fire alarm sounded on move-in day for underclassmen.

Mechanical engineering sophomore Ben Horn said students should take fire safety seriously.

“This is a great learning opportunity and you get a free t-shirt,” Williamson said. “We hope everyone comes out and uses the tools we have available.”