Wildcats on Weights program promotes fitness

By Jefra Bland

With rising obesity rates across college campuses, the UK Johnson Center staff and personal trainers have teamed up to create a free weight training program, encouraging students to stay active and healthy.

“The idea for the program originated from the Women on Weights program that preceded the Wildcats on Weights program,” said Nick Drake, Wildcats on Weights coordinator. “The fitness director, along with the group fitness graduate assistant and myself came up with the idea.”

Wildcats on Weights is a four-week program led by UK personal trainers designed to educate and motivate UK students on the benefits and basics of weight training.

The program is held on Monday and Wednesday mornings from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. It started on Oct. 11 and is set to end on Nov. 3. Students can stop by the Johnson Center front desk to register.

Johnson Center student trainers ask participants to try and attend every session, however, it is not mandatory.

Participants will review and learn exercises that target a specific muscle group at the first meeting each week, and during the second session each week the trainers will provide a workout for participants.

“The positive part about this program is that the students spend a lot of time learning about resistance training so that with our guidance, students can create their own workout plan after the program is over,” Drake said.

The Johnson Center’s certified trainers will be on hand to help those enrolled in the program perform the exercises correctly.

“The personal trainers involved with the WOW program have national personal training certifications as well as experience training individuals with varying needs and goals,” Drake said.

Both male and female participants can get involved in the program.

Brittny Flues, a UK senior, said she got involved with the program because she was nervous about not using the equipment correctly.

“I have liked it so far,” she said.

The program covers all muscle areas focusing on upper body the first week and lower body the second week.

The program outline focuses the third week on the functional body, using resistance balls and bands, followed by the students creating their own workout program the fourth and final week.

The UK Campus Recreation Department sponsors the Wildcats On Weights program.

For more information, contact Nick Drake at 859- 257-9283 or [email protected].