Late films provide international entertainment

With the month of October comes the stress of midterms, Homecoming and Halloween. But one event is offering students a chance to kick back and enjoy some late night movies.

At the beginning of October, the Cats Den released the Late Night and International Film Series’ movie schedule. With a total of 11 different movie titles, the Cats Den has tried to showcase different genres. Pulp Fiction, Nightmare on Elm Street and Kung Pow are a few of the movies being showcased this month.

Two of this month’s 11 movies are international films. The German film Run Lola Run was shown on Oct. 7, and the Russian film Solaris will be shown Oct. 21 at 7 p.m. Solaris is a science fiction love story featuring Academy Award winning actor George Clooney.

“We’re trying to expose the student body to the various international films out there,” Amelia Stevens, director of the international series, said. “We want to incorporate the international students on campus.”

The film series will also feature older movies that students have either never heard of or have not seen in a while.

Accounting junior Kelly Schumm said the foreign films fill a diversity void at UK.

“This campus doesn’t have as much diversity as other campuses in the country,” Schumm said.

Grant Hargus, Asian studies senior, said the films offer insight into how other countries’ film industries work.

“Different cultures have different ways of methodology for film,” Hargus said. “It’s fantastic.”

The Late Night Film Series is held every Thursday and Friday at 10 p.m. , and the International Film Series is every other Thursday night at 7 p.m. All movies are in the Worsham Theater and free to UK students. For more information about the Late Night Film Series or to suggest a movie, e-mail [email protected].