Finals Week relief: The Study offers students help, confidence when finishing the semester

By Becca Clemons

Students sweating their upcoming finals could receive a little peace of mind after a short walk through campus to The Study.

Located on the second floor of Complex Commons above Commons Market, The Study offers help for students in a variety of subjects, mainly introductory-level courses.

Academic Enhancement in The Study offers peer tutoring programs and individual academic consultations for free to UK and Bluegrass Community and Technical College students.

Student program coordinator Kelsey Sprang said MA 109 and CHE 105 are the most popular courses students seek help for at The Study.

She expects those numbers to rise in the next couple of weeks before finals. In the past, she said students have used The Study most during Dead Week and Finals Week.

In addition to peer tutoring, individual academic consultations offer students help with time management, study skills and exam preparation.

What is unique about The Study is that students do not have to come with specific questions and can stay as long as they want, Sprang said.

Bennie Stephens, a mathematical economics and political science sophomore and peer tutor at The Study, said going to The Study helped him while he was taking MA 109.

Now he tutors other students taking college algebra to help make it more understandable in a one-on-one or small group basis.

Stephens said The Study gives students extra practice that is required for the subject’s material.

Stephens also said the amount of students coming to The Study will increase around this time, especially for courses that have a cumulative final, like MA 109.

Business freshman Ryan Johnson comes to The Study almost every day, citing the help he receives as the main reason he’s doing well in MA 109. He said peer tutoring boosted his confidence about his upcoming MA 109 final.

“I think I’ll do fine if I just study here,” Johnson said.

Students can be sure their tutors are qualified, because part of the application process requires them to have a 3.0 and have received an A or B in the same course they’re tutoring at UK, Sprang said.

These students have been through the homework and know what to expect from the teachers, she said.

Management and finance sophomore Will Spence, an accounting and economics tutor, said. The Study gives students “more firsthand experience” than working with professors or teaching assistants. He hopes students will take advantage of what The Study has to offer as finals approach.

The Study is open during regular hours this week and next. It will be open until Wednesday during Finals Week. Tutoring times for specific subjects and courses can be found on The Study’s website (www.uky.edu/UGS/study/).