Renowned jazz artist comes to Singletary

By Kate Carpenter

Three-time Grammy winner and well-known saxophonist is coming to cure the blues on campus Saturday.

Branford Marsalis’ performance is presented by Spotlight Jazz, and is set to begin at 7:30 p.m. in the Singletary Center for the Arts Concert Hall.

Marsalis is known for performing music ranging from jazz, blues and funk to classical. He has collaborated with artists including “The Grateful Dead” and Sting. He was the former musical director for the “Tonight Show with Jay Leno” and hosted “Jazz Set,” a program on National Public Radio.

“It’s always a great opportunity to bring a person of this stature in jazz to campus,” said Michael Grice, director of the Singletary Center for the Arts.

Marsalis will perform alongside the three other members of his quartet. Joey Calderazzo will play the piano, Eric Revis will play the bass and Jeff Watts will play the drums. Summer Gossett, ticketing and marketing director at the Singletary Center for the Arts, said that there is no specific set list, so there is no telling what they will play.

“The audiences get extremely involved with their enthusiasm,” Gossett said.

Gossett said that UK used to bring jazz artists to the Singletary Center regularly, but the series of jazz artists  ended for a while.

“We are excited to introduce jazz back to the school,” Gossett said.

Grice said Marsalis is one of the biggest names in jazz alive today and has helped transform jazz into what it is today. Grice also said that Marsalis has teamed up with the jazz department and will do some in-class workshops with the students and faculty on Friday.

“We have been able to bring in some great musical talents and we hope to continue to do that,” Grice said.

Tickets are $10 for students and range from $28 to $37 for general admission. They will be sold until the night of the show.