Kanter permanently ineligible, UK to appeal

Freshman Enes Kanter makes his dramatic entrance at Big Blue Madness at Rupp Arena on Friday, Oct. 15, 2010. Photo by Britney McIntosh

By Nick Craddock and Chandler Howard

The long-awaited ruling on UK freshman Enes Kanter is in. The Turkish forward was ruled permanently ineligible by the NCAA on Thursday.

According to the NCAA release, Kanter received “benefits above his actual and necessary expenses while playing for a club basketball team in Turkey.”

Kanter played three seasons for Fenerbahce in his homeland from the 2006-07 to the 2008-09 season; he competed on the club’s senior team in 2008-09, during which time the NCAA Eligibility Center found that Kanter received $33,033 more than his expenses for the 2008-09 season.

“Enes took advantage of an opportunity to play at the highest level available to him, but the consequences of receiving payments above his actual expenses is not compatible with the collegiate model of sports that our members have developed,” NCAA vice president of academic and membership affairs Kevin Lennon said in the NCAA release.

UK will appeal the decision. During the appeal process Kanter will be allowed to practice, but not compete or travel, with the team. UK made the following statement:

“We appreciate that the NCAA has an appeals process to allow this young man to defend the uniqueness of his circumstances,” UK athletic director Mitch Barnhart said in the NCAA’s release. “Enes is a great kid who is working hard in the classroom and enjoying being a college student. It is our hope that he will be allowed to continue his academic and athletic career at Kentucky.”

UK spokesman DeWayne Peevy declined further comment on the situation.

Kanter timeline

See the full NCAA release here