Hockey completes weekend sweep of Wright State

The UK ice hockey team remained hot this weekend with two big home wins over Wright State, giving the team its fourth consecutive win since the start of the semester.

Saturday, the Cool Cats defeated Wright State 11-1, helping the team advance towards its goal of winning out.

“We played good in the defensive zone,” junior forward Josh Knicker said. “Putting up 11 goals is always very good.”

Before the game the UK Hockey official Facebook page made the prediction, “Could get a little chippy tonight.”

That prediction was accurate.

It was a physical game with plenty of players from both teams finding themselves in the penalty box.

However, the penalties did not hurt the Cool Cats, who scored four shorthanded goals. Junior forwards Michael Getz, Sean Wittman, Josh Knicker and freshman defenseman Matt Kinman each had a shorthanded goal.

“All of our shots were hitting,” freshman goalie Aaron Tenefelde said.

Tenefelde was the only goalie used by the Cool Cats over the weekend.

In the second period, UK scored three even-strength goals in a little over one minute, starting with Getz at the 11:34 mark. Sean Wittman followed at 11:19 and Tony Woodward scored the final goal of the barrage at 10:53.

UK scored so fast the announcer was unable to call the two preceding goals by the time Woodward had scored. When UK came back to the center and the fans had finished their traditional post-goal chant, the announcer said he needed to announce the goals “real quick before I have to score anymore.”

The Cats played much more consistently than they had the previous night.

“In the first game we came out flying. In the third period we kind of took it easy and had to regroup,” Tenefelde said. “Tonight we were on from the start.”

Head Coach Rob Docherty said the team’s effort was much better on Saturday. Nonetheless, in Friday’s game, UK beat Wright State 10-4.

Knicker set the tone for the weekend by tallying two goals in the game’s first 47 seconds.

“We have the mentality going into every game that we are going to win,” Knicker said.

Sophomore forward Dylan Rohar also scored two goals for the Cool Cats on Friday.

UK hockey is on the road next weekend for two huge games against Ohio State and due to a cancellation by Tennessee will not play at home again until February 11 and 12 against Missouri State.

“When we go against Ohio State we have to play good defense and go hard the entire game,” Tenefelde said.

Docherty believes each of the players on UK’s roster will be key to the team’s success going forward.

“We need to continue playing as a team,” Docherty said. “Everyone needs to put out effort. We can’t ride anyone’s coat tails.”