Agency seeks potential hires: CIA looks to bring UK students on to staff

By Shelisa Melendez

One of the most prominent government agencies in the country is coming to the James W. Stuckert Career Center on Wednesday evening to discuss potential career opportunities within their branch.

Since 1947, when President Truman signed the National Security Act, the CIA has been charged with coordinating the nation’s intelligence activities and correlating, evaluating and disseminating intelligence affecting national security, according to the CIA’s website.

As students prepare for potential internships and job opportunities, the CIA has recognized UK as a top university for employee recruitment by reaching out to the Career Center for this event.

“We didn’t choose them, they selected the University of Kentucky to invite some of the best students in the country (for job opportunities),” Lenroy Jones, associate director and manager of corporate relations for the Stuckert Career Center said.

Agency representatives will cover a wide range of topics such as the agency mission, potential career opportunities and the online application process.

The agency representatives will primarily focus on employment opportunities for the finance officer position, which is a full-time position based in Washington D.C., with an annual salary ranging from $53,468 – $79,122.

“The CIA would be a prestigious employer through counter terrorism efforts … these agencies are increasing hiring, likely to be an exciting and stimulating work environment,” Chris Clifford, an assistant finance professor said.

Despite the primary focus being on a financial position, students in all majors are welcome to attend.

“Any student interested in looking at job or internship opportunities should attend,” Jones said. “They (CIA) recruit psychology, different sciences, business, IT and medical majors.”

Jones also suggested that students visit the agency’s website before attending the event, to see the full list of available employment opportunities.

CIA employment requirements are the same for both full-time employment and internship applicants — U.S. citizenship, successful completion of a medical evaluation, polygraph interview and an extensive background investigation.

Students who attend will have the opportunity to ask the agency representatives any questions they may have at the close of the presentation.

Journalism sophomore Rachel Sarnovsky believes this type of employment opportunity does not present itself often.

“I think it would be cool because the CIA to me is a secret service. Being able to learn more about it, or getting involved with it is a unique opportunity for students,” she said.

Interviews for CIA positions will be conducted on Feb. 24.

The event will be Wednesday at 7 p.m. at the James W. Stuckert Career Center.