Mock to give his ‘Final Word,’ leader discusses involvement

By Gary Hermann

Robert Mock’s decisions have a great impact on the lives of UK students.

On Tuesday Mock, UK’s vice president of Student Affairs, will give the Final Word lecture “We Are Student Affairs” at 7 p.m. in the Student Center Theater.

Mock’s talk is one in a series hosted by the Student Activities Board, and the event is free and open to the public.

According to a news release, the Final Word lectures address the question, “What would you lecture about if it were going to be the last one you ever give?”

“We are super excited to have Dr. Mock give this talk,” Sabrina Hounshell of the Student Activities Board said. “He’s really funny and has a lot of good stories. He’s a fabulous speaker.”

According to the news release, Mock worked for the University of Arkansas, Pepsi as an engineer and served in the military before coming to UK. He holds degrees from Southern Illinois, Arkansas and Harvard.

“At UK, Mock oversees all of Student Affairs, which includes the Office of Student Involvement, the Student Center and Residence Life,” according to the news release.

One major project Mock is currently working on is the renovation of the Student Center.

Hounshell said she believes students can greatly benefit from Mock’s lecture.

“This will be a good talk for anyone involved with student affairs or wants to get involved with student affairs because he is so knowledgeable,” Hounshell said.

“He will talk about getting involved early on, finding something you are passionate about and sticking with it.”