SAB brings My Morning Jacket for Spring Concert series

KRT CAMPUS STORY SLUGGED: CMP-MUS-VOTEFORCHANGE KRT PHOTOGRAPH BY JASON MALMONT/CENTRE DAILY TIMES (October 4) The rock band My Morning Jacket performs Friday night, October 1, 2004, at the Bryce Jordan Center in State College, Pennsylvania, on Friday, October 1, 2004. (mvw) 2004

The Kentucky natives are coming home.

Wednesday Morning, the Student Activities Board announced that My Morning Jacket will be coming to UK for SAB’s annual Spring Concert on April 17.

SAB takes into account student polls, research and price when selecting artists for concerts, and SAB concert director Chris Duncan said he was excited to have My Morning Jacket because they seemed like the best fit.

“For this concert, people were kind of burnt out on the straight hip-hop shows,  so we decided to bring back some straight rock,” Duncan said. “Its gonna be even bigger. Their shows are really theatrical. There will be 400 or 500 more seats available than there were for Drake.”

My Morning Jacket was formed in Louisville, Ky. in 1998, and the group has done extensive touring since its inception. The group’s fifth studio album “Evil Urges,” led to their biggest taste of national success and they’ve been selling out venues across the country ever since.

The group’s Kentucky roots only amplify their success in the bluegrass.

“A lot of the shows My Morning Jacket does are festivals. This being just over 6,000 seats will let a lot of students come but will be one of their more intimate shows,” Duncan said. “It’ll only cost half of what most of those others shows would cost.”

Tickets will go on sale Monday at 9 a.m. in the Student Center ticket office and will be available only to students for the first three days. Floor seats will be $25, while upper level will be $20. On Thursday students will be able to purchase guest tickets and on Saturday the sales will open to the public.

For more details go to uksab.org.