Student Center Sbarro to remain open after company bankruptcy

By Alison Huddleston

On Monday, fast food pizza chain Sbarro Inc. filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy following rising food prices and the bankruptcies of other fast-food chains during the economic downturn.

According to the New York Times, Sbarro is working on restructuring its debt, reducing it by $195 million and will emerge from bankruptcy as a stronger business.

Still, with more than1,000 Sbarro locations worldwide, what does this mean for the future of UK’s popular Sbarro in the Student Center?

“I’d be moderately upset if Sbarro closed down,” said Erik Bentley, a junior psychology and Japanese major. “It’s just so good and a lot of people love it.”

Sbarro Inc. will continue normal store operations during bankruptcy proceedings, and though going completely out of business seems unlikely due to their restructuring plan, some students have hope for a new food chain in the Student Center.

“I don’t really eat at Sbarro that much, so I would like the option of getting something new,” junior Russian major Ross Cowling said.

For the many students who frequent Sbarro, the UK Dining Services said it has no plans for changing the status of the pizza shop in the Student Center.

“The Student Center Sbarro will not close,” Scott Henry, executive director of Dining Services, said in an email. “If Sbarro closes any stores, it will be company-operated stores.  As a franchise operation, we do not contribute to Sbarro’s debt load.”