HealthCare mascot needs a person to fill the suit

By Beth King

UK HealthCare may have the perfect job for students who have a passion for working with kids.

On Saturday, tryouts will be conducted to find the next two students who will become Stitches, the Kentucky Children’s Hospital mascot.

The kitten mascot makes weekly visits to children who are in the hospital and also appears at various events in Lexington and throughout the state such as Lexington Legends Games, Kerrington’s Heart Events, the Golden Corral 5k Run and Kohl’s Asthma Events.

Stephanie Carlon, a hospitality and management tourism sophomore, has been the current mascot for the past year. She said the most fulfilling part of the job is getting to visit the children on a weekly basis and see them smile.

“It is one of the most rewarding things that I have ever done in my life,” Carlon said. “The people and families that you interact with show you a whole new perspective on life and have all blessed my life immensely.”

UK HealthCare is looking to fill positions for both the primary mascot and an apprentice. A scholarship is also available to both students who are selected for the roles. UK HealthCare Senior Service Line Manager Cynde Estep said they need a student who is available throughout the summer to attend the various events.

“We are looking for somebody that would be dedicated to serving both the children’s hospital and the community,” Estep said.

Carlon said that while this is a full time job, she would recommend it to anyone who has a heart for kids.

“No matter how hot it is, how tired you might be or how crazy your week has been, when you put on that suit and you get to see the smiling face of a child that you know is otherwise not feeling well,” Carlon said. “It makes it all worth it.”

For those interested in becoming the next Stitches, tryouts will be held April 23 from 1-5 p.m. at the Seaton Center. For more information contact Cynde Estep at [email protected].